Poppin’ Into K-Pop

A new genre of music is making it’s way downtown.

Photo by Soshi Fanclub

Whether you like it or not, Korean pop music (K-Pop) is everywhere. Nowadays, Korean music and culture have become a larger fad within the United States, especially in California. South Korea’s music differs greatly from mainstream hits. Its unique sound attracts fans from across the globe.

But the big question remains: Why is this genre so widely embraced?

Unlike single artists who create their own music and perform solo, K-Pop is predominantly comprised of groups, each of which belongs to one of three prominent labels. The big three entertainment companies are YG Entertainment, SM Entertainment and JYP Entertainment, who have created the careers some of the biggest K-Pop stars in the industry today. They are notorious for having the biggest influence in K-Pop and are the most sought out amongst trainees who are attempting to break into the industry. The groups tend to range from two to 13 members.

The K-Pop groups typically have choreography along with their music, upping the appeal that these groups have to offer. Many Korean youth look up to these stars as role models.

Artists are catered to certain audiences, and usually appeal with their performances and visuals among the youth. Despite being pop music, many of the groups have a rapper within them, adding an element of hip-hop to their music.

The thing about the K-Pop industry is that it’s so different from America’s entertainment industry,” senior Amy Shao said. “Hopeful stars have to audition and then go through years and years of training if they make it past the audition phase. In this way, every k-pop idol is pretty much guaranteed to be good at singing and dancing and have good personality and looks. The amount of work they put in is evident and so admirable … I mean they’re basically engineered to be addictive.”

Other students agree that K-Pop is a particularly addictive kind of music. For many, K-Pop is interactive and easy to become attached to.

“K-Pop consists of flashing lights and colors as well as distinctive dancing for both genders,” sophomore Isabella Militchin said. “It is generally a way to have fans getting involved and learning the dance. K-Pop impacts music in a very creative and unique way, and it’s definitely something people should be giving a chance.”

“K-Pop is a very unique and exotic genre to any foreign listener,” sophomore Young Shin said. “Music brings in any crowds of people but K-Pop takes it one step further incorporating newest fashion, flash choreography, and addicting melodies.”

Groups such as SHINee, EXO, 2NE1 and 4Minute have captured the hearts of many, even here at Pali.

“I find the music and performers amazing,” Shin said. “They are able to deliver stunning performances. The choreography [and] the production of each music video makes it hard for me to look away or jump off my seat and attempt to do the same dance.”

A group known as Big Bang has been influential globally enough to make it on Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People, decided by voters from all across the world, currently taking second place right behind Bernie Sanders with 2.6 percent of votes. Along with Big Bang, CL of 2NE1 is in the top 30 with one percent of votes.  

Along with K-Pop and it’s apparently heavy influence, Korean culture as a whole has become bigger over the past few years. Korean beauty trends have showed up more and more, exposing the fashion and beauty standards that had been previously unknown to many people in the world.

“It was originally influenced from K-Pop, I believe,” sophomore Isabella Militchin said. “It’s been pretty popular recently in the United States, and you can see on YouTube that a lot more of those beauty gurus trying out the trends from South Korea.”

Even YouTube channels like BuzzFeed have exposed their own viewers to the music and culture with the video series “Try Guys.” The “Try Guys” depict four men in real life cooking Korean food, listening to K-Pop and performing in their own mock Korean idol group. With their mass following of nine million subscribers, typically averaging with a view count of three million, the K-Pop following is rapidly growing.

Korean culture and Korean music are becoming more and more popular globally, even amongst Pali High students. As Korean culture expands further along, sit down and listen to some K-Pop. Who knows, maybe you’ll like it too.