Entrepreneurs at Pali

Young adults enter the adult world of business.

Students in all grades are displaying their entrepreneurial talent by creating small businesses that have become increasingly popular.

Pali senior Ejiro Agege, owner of Ejiro’s Cupcakes, began her baking business in 9th grade when she discovered her desserts had become a fan favorite after she baked them for friends’ birthdays. Although her cupcakes were a quick hit, she admits that starting a company as a 9th grader was a time-consuming endeavor because she lacked business skills that most adult entrepreneurs possess. However, she is happy to report that her age has not made others see her as any less professional.  

cupcakeMaxwel Ruppert
“I don’t feel like I’m treated like a minor when dealing with customers,” Agege said. “A few times I have catered for some of my parents’ friends and I find that they treat me just as they would any other business. That is absolutely something to appreciate.”

It’s become increasingly more obvious that age does not determine ability, and sophomore Katya Pronichenko, owner of her own online vintage clothing shop “RetroFellow” has proven that to be true. And yet there seems to be some sort of unbreakable stigma around teenagers and their supposed lack of authority, no matter how capable the individual is.

“It is really hard to be a young person in business because most customers get scared off instantly finding out you’re a teen,” Pronichenko said. “They get the impression that you are not responsible or reliable, or even worse: that they can pay late or try to not pay at all!”

After getting inspiration to start her own business from reading “#Girlboss” by Sophia Amoruso, the sophomore had her mother take her to an obscure GoodWill to find vintage clothing in need of a little TLC. But Pronichenko admits that the process wasn’t easy.

“And then it was the hours and days I spent taking the pictures [of models in the vintage clothes], editing the pictures, writing the descriptions, drawing thank you cards, buying shipping boxes and doing everything I could to make my customers happy,” Pronichenko said.

The business world is not a walk in the park. It requires time, dedication and calls for spending money before profits can be made, students say.

Senior Justin Oheb sells sneakers online and explains that when starting out he “saved birthday money and invested it into shoes and the money continued to grow off of each pair building up.”

Starting a company takes more than just an idea and a budget. Marketing is a key factor in a business’ lifeline, students say. In 2016, social media is likely the most effective way to spread a message fast. Pronichenko says that she hadn’t initially thought about promoting her shop.

“I relied on some magical force, maybe a vintage clothing business fairy, to make my products the next big thing,” Pronichenko said. “After a couple of months of absolutely no views from anyone, I understood that I needed to market myself. That’s when I put my shop link on Instagram and Facebook and pretty much told everybody I could to look at my shop.”

However, as popular as it may be, social media is not the only way to get attention. Senior August Hartwell and head of “Adjective Noun Entertainment” (ANE) explains that he was able to find alternative ways to advertise.

“So far I’ve used the light board and morning announcements as well as word of mouth to spread awareness about my production company, but I’m hoping to expand my advertisement once I secure more funds,” Hartwell said.

Similarly, Agege is not reliant on the Internet to help run and advertise her company.

“The easiest way to spread the word was definitely through my friends,” Agege said. “After I got more situated and comfortable, I made business cards that would come attached to every single box that was delivered. I feel like that significantly helped to spread the word because it was easy for people to see and get a hold of.”

The senior says she takes all her cupcake orders by hand and makes all deliveries in person, creating a personal relationship between customer and merchant.  

Hartwell agrees it is crucial to work with peers, saying, “It’s very important to work with people who see eye-to-eye with you. If you aren’t working with a friend, you’re going to have a difficult time.”

Another lesson those with companies will inevitably learn is that of money management. “One valuable experience that I have learned from this entire process is how to make, manage and save money,” Agege said. “Of course money is one of the most important things regarding a business. It’s been quite rocky, but I am proud of my business; I’m grateful to share the product of something I love with the people around me.”

Pronichenko is happy to share what she has learned with those looking to start a business, saying, “My biggest advice to other kids that want to sell is that your business won’t become successful overnight and patience will work in your favor.”