POP: Advice from Upper to Underclassmen

Ejiro Agege, JuniorScreen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.56.18 PM

Probably the best decision that I made this year was to take AP® U.S. History. After completing AP® World History, not so successfully, I was very hesitant about taking APUSH. However, I convinced myself that I would make sure this experience would be so much better, and it was. Overall, I think that US History was a much more exciting class for me, and my performance was a lot better. The biggest piece of advice that I could give to lower class men is not to procrastinate! Procrastinating is a big setback, and it’s a hard habit to break. Focus on your classes, and try to make every year your best. Sure, it’d be a lot more work, but it comes to what colleges you get admitted to!

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.54.01 PMChelsea Levi, Junior

If I had another chance during Junior year, I would not stress out as much because your grades should not determine your mood. After checking your grades, there’s really nothing you can do so anxiety will only hurt you. What I would do the same is prioritize work and space it out as much as possible so that it doesn’t build up. The biggest piece of advice I would give is to not stress out and enjoy your easier years. Everything will work out, you don’t need a 4.0 to be happy or successful.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.53.14 PMJennifer Losch, Junior

Honestly, sophomore year was much harder regrading my classes, but the stress levels of junior year are way higher. The best decision I made this year was probably starting ACT prep early. Because I started in October, I was able to take the test twice (the usual amount) in December and February. This opened up my schedule to study more for AP® Exams and SAT® Subject tests during second semester. Although I will probably take the ACT again in June or September, the strategy of starting earlier really helped in the long run.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.57.07 PMMichael McNorvell, Senior

The best decision that I made my senior year was not only to grow a beard, but to avoid a majority of the stress I’ve experienced in my earlier years of high school. I took two AP’s® that were relatively easy for me to dedicate myself to, and aside from classes that I need to fulfill requirements, I took the classes that I wanted to take, like philosophy, choir, jazz band, etc. Comparing my senior year to my sophomore year is night and day. I took three AP’s® my junior year, and I was stressed almost incessantly, to the point where I couldn’t enjoy myself all too often. But I learned a lesson from that; don’t let schooling affect my happiness. And for the most part, that’s worked out great.

Screen Shot 2016-06-02 at 12.55.43 PMMina Naziri, Senior

If I could do my senior year over again, I’d do my best to enjoy my last year of high school and not stress myself out about the little things. The only thing I would tell an underclassman is that grades are super important, but don’t drown yourself in AP’s ® and sleep two hours each night. Try to spend as much time with your friends as you can and have as much fun as possible before you graduate. The best decision I made in my senior year was deciding that I wanted to pursue music in college and possibly as a career.