The online student newspaper of Palisades Charter High School

Tideline

Senioritis Strikes Again

Lulit Abdissa, Staff Writer

As the semester comes to an end, seniors begin to feel the pressure of meeting deadlines for college applications. The six months of recommendations, essays, personal statements and padded resumes are coming to an end and for most, the anticipation and anxiety of receiving a letter from their dream school is the overwhelming force in their life. With this comes the rush to walk the stage and escape the four years of drama, overbearing teachers and the memory of that one time you tripped down the A-Building-stairs.

Senioritis becomes more evident as the year progresses and students commit to schools. However, many have had senioritis since before senior year. “I’ve had senioritis since sophomore year,” says Paulyn Lao, a chronic sufferer. “Over time it just got progressively worse. Proud of it? Of course not, but it’s not something I chose. It chose me. I tried to get rid of it, I really did, but it just got worse.”

Others have even glorified the end day. “I’ve already set a countdown on my phone for graduation,” says senior Jordan Seibel.

It is understandable as to why these seniors are in such a rush to escape the four years of lectures, embarrassment and adolescence. It would be better if the days ‘til graduation weren’t anticipated, and students could just enjoy their final months as high schoolers. College is not all fun and games. The classes are harder, the workload is heavier and daily life is more hectic.

That’s why many people will miss being in high school.

“It’s not at all like High School Musical, where everyone danced in the cafeteria to a perfectly synchronized tune or how your whole squad is in all the same classes as you,” stated senior Eli Blake, who was quick to add many still view high school as a memorable time in their life.

Amidst the nights spent finishing english essays or reading thirty page long textbook chapters at one in the morning are the memories of that time you got to work on a video project with your best friend or that time when you won city championships with your sports team.

So yes, although seniors are in a rush to escape all the bad, in 20 years some of them might look back and realize that these, indeed, were the best four years of their life. Or someone might never go to an aquarium out of the fear of seeing a dolphin, which may trigger unpleasant memories.

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Features

A Conversation with Artribe

• Senioritis Strikes Again

A&E

#OscarsSoWhite attempts to right a wrong

• Senioritis Strikes Again

News

One Hand to Another — Los Angeles to Guatemala

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Opinion

How Flaws Became Flawless

• Senioritis Strikes Again

News

Pali students respond to President Trump’s clashes with foreign leaders

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Opinion

March of the Women

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Opinion

A Loss for One is a Loss for All

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Opinion

Mni Wiconi: Love, Loss and Worship at Standing Rock

• Senioritis Strikes Again

Showcase

Pali XC for the Four-Peat

• Senioritis Strikes Again

News

‘Professional protesters’ gather in DTLA

Senioritis Strikes Again