The online student newspaper of Palisades Charter High School

Tideline

Logan defies the stereotypical superhero film

Kiana Karimi, Copy Editor

***THERE ARE MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD***

Hugh Jackman, the razor-clawed mutant, decided to put down his claws after 17 years of a blockbuster filled journey. “Logan,” the last film of the Wolverine trilogy, takes place in a desolate dystopian society where most of the mutants seize to exist.

From the get-go, it’s obvious “Logan” isn’t a typical superhero movie that follows the Hero’s Journey and instead takes the path of a tragedy. “Logan” is moving and gritty. The film doesn’t present a stereotypical superhero with the typical trademark of a winning smile, a young face and a six-pack that is sure to swoon the audience, and instead, presents a character that defies that trademark. The Wolverine is decrepit and broken down. He’s irascible and doesn’t care for his surroundings. He merely wants to get by in life by being a limousine driver until he meets a precarious little girl that bears a certain resemblance to his appearance and abilities. He is then forced to venture off to “Eden,” a safe haven for young mutants, to rescue the girl he feels somewhat attached to.

The audience quickly feels Logan’s helplessness as he is tortured with each step he takes. He trudges on his ail-stricken journey and struggles to simply move at the very last moments of his existence. Logan becomes the poster child for human suffering. Hugh Jackman’s gripping yet heart-wrenching performance anchored everyone in their seats. Jackman makes the audience feel his character’s pain and sorrow. The structure of the film and the anti-hero’s husky physicality intricately foreshadows Wolverine’s destiny.

“Logan” is the goriest but most sentimental film of the Wolverine series. His rampage is a result of fighting his inevitable fate. He rages upon the people who want to hurt him and the mysterious little girl. The girl, who is later revealed to be his daughter, looks out for his well being, but Logan doesn’t want to be treated. He’s drained of his endless anguish and wants to retire permanently. Every scene of “Logan” will surely leave the audience members in shock and the last five minutes of the movie will clench the spectators’ heart and leave them in disbelief.

When Logan doesn’t shower his enemies with blood, he instead, drives the audience to a fountain of tears.

One of the audience members, senior Juliette Lerner, raved about “Logan’s” authenticity.

“I thought the cinematography in Logan was extremely well done,” Lerner said. “The action scenes did not seem excessively fake or overdone. The sentimental scenes immersed me in the story. Overall, for those who enjoy superhero movies, Logan is a must-see.”

“Logan” puts other superhero movies to shame by eliminating the norm of a triumphant hero’s journey that is meant to lure the audience into watching a potential sequel. The film is not a teaser for future installments. There are no “Marvel easter eggs” or nauseating cliffhangers. “Logan” is an end to all things. “Logan” is the final ride into the sunset.