The online student newspaper of Palisades Charter High School

Tideline

A Conversation with Artribe

An interview with Pali High senior Mia Zeidler and Wildwood senior Quinn Albert, the 2017 Artribe leaders.

Olivia Maybank, Opinion Editor

Come Celebrate Artribe’s 10th anniversary on Saturday May 13th, 2017 6-10pm, 3026 Airport Ave

What is Artribe and what is the Spiral foundation?

Quinn Albert: Artribe is a group of High School Students that come together every year to put on the annual event of Artribe which supports the Spiral Foundation. There’s kids from schools all across LA from Malibu High School to North Hollywood High to Wildwood to Pali and they help curate the show, while also raising money for the event, creating the art that goes in it and getting sponsors and artists to spread the word.

Mia Zeidler: The Spiral Foundation is paired with Artribe Los Angeles and it raises money for the children in Vietnam, Nepal and Italy who are born with congenital genetic disorder which is a heart disease that is contracted from the agent orange in the air from the bombing during the Vietnam war. Our job is to put on our annual art show and then send all the money as well as sell the products made by the Healing Wounded Heart Center to the Spiral Foundation which funds about five hundred heart surgeries for little kids. Skilled artisans in the Healing Wounded Heart Center make bags, placemats, and many other items that are all made from recycled plastic.

How and why did you get involved in Artribe?

Quinn Albert: When I was in 9th grade my best friend Maddy Gold was in 11th grade and her family started Artribe. She was really excited about getting people to join so I just went by chance with her to a meeting one day and I fell in love with the organization.

Mia Zeidler: I joined last year and I joined kind of late because I was always intimidated—you don’t have to put that in—but I was always intimidated by the group. I joined and I quickly tried to participate as much as I could just focus on the organization more than the group and it turned out to be a really successful. I found that with all the time I spent in the studio, group, and meetings, I was becoming closer with all the members. Quinn and I were both elected to lead the group and it brought us together as friends which is really cool because I’ve met a lot of people I’ll be friends with forever.

Quinn Albert: Yeah, Mia has been the most helpful person I’ve I seen in Artribe in the past four years. Also we’ve gotten the most done this year.

Mia Zeidler: You know a lot. Quinn’s been in the group the longest and she really has stayed with it. It’s cool that she knows Maddy [Gold] because she can get down to the roots of what we’re doing not just jump in.

What is the most rewarding or memorable experience you’ve had with Artribe?

Quinn Albert: I’ve just met the best people. Mia and I met at the end of last year and now I spend all of my time with her. The energy that everyone has together when it’s like a bunch of teenagers who you would usually just see at parties, are actually doing something to change the world is just such a great feeling and they’re doing it through something they love which is creating art.

Mia Zeidler: I think my favorite part — next to all the friends I’ve made — is on May 13th just walking down those hallways of photos that you’ve set up and you’re just like “wow I put together an art show” and not so much “I” as in me but “I” as in us. We all just come together to curate this piece of gold that we have so many people come to. I also think hosting Artribe TV, has allowed me to connect with artists all around Los Angeles.

Quinn Albert: It’s true, the day of Artribe makes everything worth it. All the stress that I feel all year is paid off in a second when it all comes together. The band’s performing and the decorations, it’s magical.

How can people get involved in Artribe?

Mia Zeidler: We consistently need juniors and sophomores to join. One or two of our current members will be elected to lead next year depending on who rises up to the occasion. I think that the best way to get involved is to join the group next year especially if you’re interested in art.

Quinn Albert: Also if you don’t want to be a member of Artribe itself, you just want to support it, putting art in the show is such a great and easy way to do it because anyone can put art in. Coming to the fundraising events, coming to Artribe itself, buying art there, buying stuff from the Spiral Foundation — literally anything that you do that supports Artribe in a financial or a moral way.

Mia Zeidler: Every single dollar goes back there [to the Spiral Foundation] so it really is beneficial to you and beneficial to us to just put work together and send all that money back.

Quinn Albert: I put on an art show on at my school last week and all the money that we made went to Artribe. The photos weren’t even supposed to be sold. People just offered and it came to mind so, give us money!

A final message from Mia Zeidler: Please don’t forget to continue to donate to our Generosity page so we can do all we can to make sure our event May 13 is the best it can be! All art submissions must be in by April 28.

Artribe website: https://artribela.wixsite.com/artribelosangeles

Spiral Foundation website: http://www.thespiralfoundation.org

Contact: [email protected]

Donate: https://www.generosity.com/fundraising/artribe-2017-los-angeles

Instagram: @artribe_la

• A Conversation with Artribe

A&E

#OscarsSoWhite attempts to right a wrong

• A Conversation with Artribe

News

One Hand to Another — Los Angeles to Guatemala

• A Conversation with Artribe

Opinion

How Flaws Became Flawless

• A Conversation with Artribe

News

Pali students respond to President Trump’s clashes with foreign leaders

• A Conversation with Artribe

Opinion

March of the Women

• A Conversation with Artribe

Opinion

A Loss for One is a Loss for All

• A Conversation with Artribe

Opinion

Mni Wiconi: Love, Loss and Worship at Standing Rock

• A Conversation with Artribe

Showcase

Pali XC for the Four-Peat

• A Conversation with Artribe

News

‘Professional protesters’ gather in DTLA

• A Conversation with Artribe

Showcase

XC Goes the Extra Mile to Succeed

A Conversation with Artribe