Pali revises TA program

This year, Pali transformed its Teacher Assistant (TA) program, otherwise known as Pali Apprentice. Students now have the option to be office interns, teaching assistants and tutors.

The program is open to students who have more credits than they need for graduation or are taking an online class. Students go through an application process which evaluates their GPA and work experience.=

Director of Student Achievement Monica Iannessa explained why this change was made, saying “service work on a transcript does not mean anything.”

Instead of taking part in the TA program, upperclassmen have the option to become tutors. During the year they get tutoring experience and expand their communication skills.

According to its brochure, the Study Center always needs more student tutoring volunteers. People do not need to be knowledgeable in every subject, as students are encouraged to specialize in their strongest subjects.

Study Center coordinator Melinda Meinen runs the interview process with students to place them where help is most needed. The application process is like a real job interview, and students must share what they could bring to the table. After applicants complete the interview process, they are eligible to be placed in a class where help is needed.

Student tutoring counts toward Pali’s community service requirements. “Tutoring tells more of a story rather than having a home period,” Ianessa said.  “Rather than going home, seniors could become tutors and give back to their peers.”

In previous years the feedback for the TA program was mixed, as many teachers did not get TAs, and there were varying levels of teacher satisfaction and student responsibility.

Emily Glen is currently a tutor for Ms. Saxon’s second period Study Skills class. “I have been helpful for the students in the class, as well as Ms. Saxon,” Glen said. “Ms. Saxon goes around the room to individually work with students, so having extra help in the class gives her more flexibility to work with the kids. I have taught a few different students Algebra skills.”

Glen hopes to be a TA again next year if she has room in her schedule. She said that she “enjoys being able to help others with Algebra while she also works on her tutoring skills.” Juniors and seniors comprise the majority of TAs and tutors, but all students, including underclassmen, are eligible for the program.