Annual Prospective Family Night Shifts Online

Pali successfully hosted its first virtual Prospective Family Night on March 2, providing information and resources to the families of potential incoming freshmen and transfer students interested in attending the school this fall.

Vice Principal Chris Lee reported that roughly 800 people attended the event, rotating between four Zoom rooms of their choice. There were 18 available rooms designated by department or program, where teachers, current students, staff, administrators and parents gave presentations and answered questions.  

Although the event’s total attendance decreased by more than 200 this year, Lee still considers it a success.

“Many of the Zoom room rotations had over 80-100 attendees at one time,” he said. “This is all remarkable considering the circumstances.”

Administration dramatically altered the program because COVID-19 protocols forced the event online. 

“In past years we have been able to have VAPA performances throughout the night, bake sales, Pali Swag for sale and food trucks, along with the in-person presentations,” Lee said. “To still have so much great interest just shows how solid our reputation is.”

In collaboration with the administration, Associated Student Body (ASB) representatives planned and executed the event. ASB Commissioner of Student Involvement Peter Garff and Freshmen Class President Ryan Levi led the charge. 

“We’re trying to make things as technically seamless as possible for parents,” Garff said. 

The ASB Team worked with the tech department to create a menu of links to each Zoom room so that prospective families could easily jump between presentations. 

“Our goal is to educate parents on all of the resources that we have,” Garff said. “Hopefully from that education, we’re going to be able to bring families to Pali… to diversify and build up Pali’s student body.” 

Lee added, “Based upon this year’s attendance… and the large number of applicants, the interest in Pali continues to be strong.”